- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5 leeks, (the white and light green section only), chopped (set aside a small amount for garnish, if desired )
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Sautéed leeks
- Chives, chopped
- One leaf or two of flat leaf parsley
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the leeks and the onions. Cool until soft, but not brown, approximately 10 minutes.
Add water. Cook an additional 10 minutes.
Add potatoes and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes.
Puree in blender (in batches) or with an immersion blender. Add milk and whipping cream. Heat until very hot but do not allow to boil.
To garnish: Sauté a few slices of leeks in 1 teaspoon EVOO for about 4 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sautéed leeks, chopped chives and a leaf or 2 of flat leaf parsley. Drizzle EVOO over garnish for additional flavor.