This is a great appetizer to serve to company and features fresh ingrediants.
- 1 medium sized eggplant (approx. 1 1/2 lbs )
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons Cassata Sonoma extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (sweet), chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 teaspoons capers
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 small can tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ( Rosemary Basil Infused preferred), set aside
Peel eggplant and cut 3/4-inch cubes. place cubes in a colander and add 3 teaspoons salt and mix thoroughly. Put paper towel on top of eggplant and add a few pounds of weight on top for an hour or two to drain in sink. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and add onions and celery. Sauté until onions become soft (take care not to burn). Add tomatoes to skillet and simmer with cover for 15 minutes with occasional stirring occasionally. Uncover pan add eggplant and the remaining ingredients, except for the remaining olive oil. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes and cool to room temperature. When cool, stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil ( Rosemary Basil Infused) and serve. Keep in refrigerator in covered container for a quick treat to serve when company stops by.